Homemade Peanut Butter Cups


posted by Michele on , , , , , ,

1 comment


I love homemade peanut butter cups! They're delicious and way healthier then Reese's. I make these every couple weeks for us ( my kids love them!) and also serve them for our game night and other get-togethers. They're always a big hit!

I adapted this one from Alicia Silverstone's recipe in her book, The Kind Diet. You can also find her recipe on her website, The Kind Life. I made a few changes to the original using what I had on hand and they came out great!

First of all, I used O Organics Creamy Peanut Butter. We just starting using this peanut butter and the whole family loves it! It's creamy and made with organic sugar and peanuts, which is important to me, but it's the no-stir kind so there's no oil separation like a lot of organic or natural/unsweetened peanut butters. I really like the consistence of it too, just like regular peanut butter. Some other no-stir organic brands I've tried just aren't thick enough.

Since I was using sweetened peanut butter, I did not add any extra sweetener to the mix. I also halved the amount of the Earth Balance to even out the dry/wet ingredient ratio. It came out plenty sweet enough and a good consistency.

I added a few extra graham crackers to the peanut butter mixture as well. I found that this helps the cups hold their shape longer at room temperature. Either way they do need to be refrigerated until ready to serve. Adding the extra graham crackers is especially helpful for parties and get-togethers when you want to have a dessert tray sitting out for your guests.

I couldn't find any chocolate chips that were labeled "grain sweetened" like Alicia's recipe calls for, so I used 365 (Whole Food's Brand) Vegan Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. They're sweetened with evaporated cane juice, which is what we use for sweetener in our house anyway so that is fine with me.

I didn't put nuts on top, only because I didn't have any on-hand, but you could certainly add them if you like. I also used a mini muffin pan instead of the full size, which I like better because they come out bite size and perfectly portioned for my little ones.

So here is my version of Homemade Peanut Butter Cups:

Makes approx. 36 mini peanut butter cups

1/4 cup Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread
3⁄4 cup O Organics Creamy Peanut Butter
14 graham cracker squares, crushed
1
1/4 cup Vegan Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1⁄3 cup almond milk

Line your mini muffin pan with paper liners.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add peanut butter and stir till smooth. Add graham cracker crumbs and mix well. Remove the mixture from the heat.
Evenly divide the mixture, approximately 1 teaspoon per cup, among the muffin cups. Combine the chocolate and milk in another pan. Stir over medium heat until the chocolate has melted. Spoon the chocolate evenly over the peanut butter mixture.
Place in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours before serving.


Enjoy!

1 comment

Leave a Reply